OA's SIGN IN
Internship Position Description
General Statement of Duties: In support of the mission of the Office of the State Long-
Term Care Ombudsman, the Ombudsman Marketing/Communications Intern will provide
volunteer recruitment services to the long-term care ombudsman program to increase
volunteer recruitment and community outreach. The long-term care ombudsman program
will work with you and your school to meet your internship requirements.
Service Location: Region 10A (Cuyahoga, Geauga, Lake, Lorain, Medina)
Direct Supervisor: Victoria Brownfield, COS/Volunteer Coordinator
Internship Dates: Fall and Spring Semesters / Summer optional
Required Minimum Service Hours: 14-16 hours per week
General Service Schedule:
Will work around school schedule
• Engage with long-term care consumers to ensure they understand and have access
to the Long-Term Care Ombudsman Program, educate them about their rights,
respond to questions, and help in resolving complaints during regular window, virtual,
and telephonic advocacy visits with long-term care facility residents.
• Develop written social media post content and develop social media graphics for the
purpose of ombudsman volunteer recruitment and submit content to internship
• Research, identify, and compile regional print media outlets. Write volunteer
recruitment articles for publication in regional print media outlets.
• Research, identify, and compile online volunteer recruitment websites. Write
volunteer recruitment blurbs for publication on online volunteer recruitment websites.
• Research, identify, and compile locations to distribute ombudsman print materials.
Distribute ombudsman print materials in the community.
• Provide outreach to consumers about the long-term care ombudsman program and
consumer rights, including assistance with volunteer management outreach, through
presentations to community organizations and partners.
• Be responsible for the timely and accurate entry of service activity in accordance with
applicable Federal, State and local laws, and Ohio Department of Aging and local
program policies and procedures.
• Engage in all activities under the direction of the internship supervisor.
• Comply with all internship guidelines by maintaining service hours, training hours,
and service projects as outlined in the practicum.
• Interact in a positive, professional and cooperative manner with consumers, and
staff; refer appropriate questions or concerns to the internship supervisor.
• Attend all required training courses and staff meetings.
• Understand and promote the Mission of the Office of the State Long-Term Care
Ombudsman and promote the Office’s guiding principle of “Expect Excellence”.
• Enrolled in College
• At least 18 years of age
• Ability to pass criminal background and sex offender check and drug screen
• Ability to travel within assigned service area
• Phone, computer, and internet access
• Reliable transportation and valid driver’s license
• Ability to work independently and as a member of a team
• Working knowledge of Microsoft office software and data entry programs
• Enrolled in communications, marketing, journalism, or comparable program.
• Excellent copywriting and proofreading skills.
• Experience with graphic design software.
• Ability to effectively communicate and build rapport with older adults and those living
with mental or physical disabilities, both in person, by phone, and via email
• Experience and comfort with speaking in front of a group
• Cultural awareness and sensitivity
• Perform duties with respectful communication and behavior
• Mileage and other travel reimbursement
• Training and certification as a representative of the Office of the State Long-Term
• Opportunities to learn from and network with aging service experts
• Opportunities to build a writing and graphic design portfolio
• Personal Protective Equipment training
• Personal Protective Equipment
Please click on the link to make a contribution to our vision for LTCO..
Discover the benefits of becoming a LTCO Volunter by clicking the link.
©2022 Long Term Care Ombudsman of Northeast Ohio Website design by Wayne Henry Design